I have been reading A LOT the last few weeks. These books have me pondering and making changes in my life. Today I began One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I am also working my way through Sunny Side Up by Lucille Johnson and rereading Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Melton. Last night I read The Message by Lance Richardson. No light hearted fiction going on right now. Just some deep thinking, heart softening, inspiring stuff.
There are many thoughts going through my mind right now and many pages of these books I just want to type up and make everyone read, but I don't have the time or patience for that so you will just have to read these books yourself!
Here is one quote from One Thousand Gifts that I just read and wanted to share:
"I wonder too...if the rent in the canvas of our life backdrop, the losses that puncture our world, our own emptiness, might actually become places to see.
To see through to God.
That that which tears open our souls, those holes that splatter our sight, may actually become the thin, open places to see through the mess of this place to the heart-aching beauty beyond. To Him. To the God whom we endlessly crave.
Maybe so.
But how? How do we choose to allow the holes to become seeing-through-to-God places? To more-God places?
How do I give up resentment for gratitude, gnawing anger for spilling joy? Self-focus for God-communion.
To fully live-to live full of grace and joy and all that is beauty eternal. It is possible, wildly.
I now see and testify.
So this story-my story.
A dare to an emptier, fuller life."
-Ann Voskamp
I am still not sure exactly what I think or how I feel about The Message by Lance Richardson. It is a near death experience, which I am usually not real interested in but a good friend lent it to me and so I read. I have pondered it much of the night and this morning. Not 100% convinced about all he shared but there were a few things that really struck me. I am a skeptic and questioned these ideas at first, but then I was reminded of things from my life (sacred experiences and truths taught through priesthood blessings) that would prove these things are true. I guess my problem with the book is that why would this man be asked to be the one to share this information-why not a Prophet? I also had a bit of challenge with him sharing things that to me seemed so sacred, something that maybe he went through just for his and his family's benefit- things this sacred are often not meant to share in such a way.
Here is what I do believe- our friends and loved ones on the other side of the veil do help us- there is much more to the sealing power then we realize. There is much more to family history work than just getting people's temple work done. There is a great connection to our ancestors that we often do not understand. They are often our guardian angels (to be honest, I hate that term-it irks me, not sure why, but it does.) I know that our Heavenly Father loves us. He hears and answers our prayers. Most of those answers come through "angels" here on earth and those beyond the veil. I guess all that truly matters is that I know God lives and loves me and if I strive to be the best person I can be and follow His teachings, all will be well (not easy, not perfect, not pain-free, but well.) Enough of my rambling for today.
p.s. today is another happy day