Monday, November 23, 2009

lunchbox

Friday was a rough day around here.  In the process of all the craziness of the morning and trying to get everyone ready and out the door in time to get Nate to his doctor's appt in Summerlin (25mins away) and then head straight to drop Mara off at school (20 mins back toward home) and get back to Nate and be supportive during his procdure, Mara forgot her lunch.  This wasn't discovered until I was dropping her off in front of the school.  She had a complete melt down.  She was screaming at me to go home and get it.  I didn't have time.  I thankfully found some cash in my purse (mini miracle in itself) and told her to buy school lunch.  That was NOT the solution she was looking for.  She lost it again and then I lost it and just shoved the money into her pocket and nudged her toward the school.  She was so upset that a teacher told her to go to the office and call home.  She called Nate's cell phone instead ( he is at the doctor's office getting prepped for an unpleasant procedure)  He doesn't answer but listens to the voicemail- calls me on my cell as I am driving back to Summerlin.  I told him I can't go back home and get her lunch until later so he calls the school and tells them she has money to buy lunch and that maybe the problem is she has never bought lunch before and she is scared because she doesn't know what to do.  ( This is where I feel like the worst mother in the world but am eternally grateful for a husband who understands our daughter better than I ever will.)  When I pick her up that after noon I am afraid she won't speak to me, but she has forgiven me.  We have a little talk about what happened in the morning and Nate was right- she was so upset because she didn't know how to buy lunch.  A nice kid in her class walked her through it all and she was just fine, but she said she never wants to buy school lunch again.  We also discussed that it is HER responsibility to make sure she has her lunch in the morning- I will make it but she has to take it.  SO- this is what I found on the kitchen table this morning...

She wrote herself a note so she wouldn't forget!  How cute is that! And speaking of cute, how cute is this


Happy 1 month Birthday Audrey!

3 comments:

Jeremy and Taren said...

Poor Mara and poor Mommy. I am so much like her even as an adult. I get so scared if I don't know how to do something or have never done it before that I get mean or just cry. You did the right thing. They all have to learn sometime, right? lol!! Happy 1st month to Audrey. She is even more beautiful every time I see her.

Emilee said...

Mara is too smart! And Audrey is too precious!

Brittany said...

What a cute story. I miss you guys so much but it is so good to read and see you are doing so well. Audrey looks beautiful, I love the chubby cheeks!